Which are the best hot springs for families in and near Hakone?
Presumably most parents don’t want their young daughter to see a naked man standing in the bath.
So we have listed baths that either allow swimsuits, or do not permit mixed bathing. In other words, men and women bathe separately.
Manyo no Yu in Odawara
When I have been there, there have been many families with children. Be aware that no swimsuits are allowed and men and women bathe and sleep separately, unless you book a private room, but that of course is more pricey.
There are many baths here, massage, and restaurants. It is a huge building with many floors. Despite the outward appearance, the hot springs inside are very nice.
There is a play area for children too!
How to get there by Train?
- 70-minute train ride by Odakyu Line Super-Express Romance Car to Odawara Station.
- 90-minute train ride by Odakyu Line Express Train to Odawara Station.
- 35-minute train ride by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line Bullet Train to Odawara Station.
- 90-minute train ride by JR Tokaido Line local train to Odawara Station.
- From Shin-Yokohama: 20-minute train ride by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line Bullet Train to Odawara Station.
- From Yokohama: 60-minute train ride by JR Tokaido Line local train to Odawara Station.
- 50-minute train ride by Hakone Tozan Railway local train to Odawara Station.
From Hakone Yumoto:
- 16-minute train ride by Odakyu Line and Hakone Tozan Railway local train to Odawara Station.
*Exit from East Gate at Odawara Station. Manyo-no-Yu, Odawara is 5-minute walk from Odawara Station.
#1 on the List of the 5 Best Hot Springs near Hakone
Hakone Kowakien Yunessun:
In my opinion, this is the best hot spring in or near Hakone. It is hands down the best hot spring for families with children.
We took our own kids here and it was a blast!
Hakone Kowakien Yunessun has many different kinds of baths. It’s huge! It is a whole complex of different Hot Springs. Some are filled with coffee, ( but don’t drink it!) others are filled with other things. The variety and fun is endless. Trust me little kids to big kids aged 35 and over will have fun here.
For the kids there are water jungl gyms, and baths made for children. Our children loved this bath!
There is even a pool with a water slide.
If you want a romantic hot spring, then one like Only Yu would be a better choice. For families however, Hakone Kowakien Yunessun is the one!
Take Odakyu line or Hakone Tozan line train to Hakone Yumoto Station
From Hakone Yumoto Station take the HakoneTozan Bus or the Izu-Hakone Bus to Kowaki-en Bus stop(About 20 minutes)
Just up the hill from Kowaki-en Bus Stop.
1279 Ninotaira, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa-ken 250-0407
Phone number+81 (0)460-82-4126